The Great British Summer is now in full swing, and before we know it the nights will be drawing in and temperatures will have dipped considerably, so make the most of it and get outdoors whilst you still can! Earlier this week we caught up with UK F.I.T. Ambassador Mike Tuck, to find out his top fitness tips and what his summertime workouts consist of.
Summer means warmer weather, a little less rain (hopefully), and long days, so getting outdoors is a must. My favourite summer workout has got to be going for evening runs in the park, as it’s such a great way to get your heart pumping in beautiful surroundings. If I’m lucky enough to get away to a hotter destination and have access to a pool, then I try to throw in some swimming or pool plyometrics. Either way, getting outside while the weather allows is a must in the summer!
Summer is my ‘off’ season so it can be a very easy time to get misled and find excuses to slip up on my diet or skip a training session. But summer is actually the ideal time to jump start your summer slump. My top tips to staying on track would be:
- Take advantage of the nicer weather and get yourself outdoors for a workout. Long walks, going for a bike ride, or my personal favourite, runs through the park, are all great ways to start getting back into the swing of things.
- Summer is holiday season. Use this as motivation to keep your body in the best shape possible. If you have a holiday planned, work backwards in your calendar and commit to a diet and training schedule that will help you to look and feel your best.
- During the summer, activities can be more abundant or easier to find. Group circuit workouts, boot camps in local parks or joining an outdoor sports league are all great ways to stay in shape.
Summer can be a great time to fire up the barbeque and one of my favourite recipes, which involves easy preparation and clean-up, is what I call Lemon Salmon Foil Packs. *This recipe can also be made using an oven.
2 courgettes, thinly sliced
2 cloves garlic, minced
Freshly ground pepper
2 lemons, thinly sliced
4-6 salmon fillets
4 tbsp. butter
4 sprigs thyme
Fresh parsley, for garnish
- Preheat grill to medium-high.
- Lay a large piece of foil on a flat surface. Top with a single layer of sliced courgette and scatter some garlic on top.
- Season with salt and pepper, then lay a few lemon slices down. Top with a salmon fillet and season with more salt and pepper.
- Place a tablespoon of butter on top of the salmon fillet. Add a sprig of thyme, then pour a small splash of white wine over salmon. *If you are looking to be super healthy, limit the butter and cut out the wine!
- Fold the foil in half then fold up the edges to seal the packet. Repeat with remaining ingredients to make four packets.
- Place packets on grill and cook until the salmon is cooked through and the courgette is tender (approx. 10 to 12 minutes).
- Garnish with parsley and serve warm.
- What would be your top tips for working out in the summer?
- Stretch – One of the most overlooked parts of a workout is one of the most important. Stretching and warming up your muscles before a workout can improve flexibility, strength, and help prevent injury. Exercising outside can sometimes mean uneven terrain, making it even more important to ensure those muscles are warmed up.
- Bring a friend – Outdoor activities are always more enjoyable with a friend or in a group. Exercising in a group can help you push yourself and each other. It can also help you keep each other accountable and get into a routine.
- Supplements – Whether my workout is indoor or outdoor, I still have Forever supplements on hand. Argi+ or Forever Therm pre-workout and Forever Lite Ultra post-workout are always in my gym bag!